About Will Vandom
Full name: Wilhelmina (or Wilma) Vandom
Will is the keeper of the Heart of Kandrakar, the source of the guardians' power, and possesses the fifth element, Quintessence. Not only does she unite the five guardians, but she is also the most powerful of the five. She can communicate with machines, animals react to her emotions, she can throw lightning bolts, and she may even gain the ability to control life and death as time goes on, just as Nerissa, the previous keeper of the Heart, did. Being the keeper of the Heart also means that Will plays the role of the leader.
Will is very emotional and is often times quite insecure. Her biggest fear is that everyone will abandon her, thus, she is often times very paranoid, and very sensitive. Cornelia has even made her cry a few times because of her harsh personality. Will also gets jealous very easily when it comes to other girls being around Matt, though she gets better about that as time goes on. However, despite all of this, Will truly is the brains of the operation, and she's very courageous when it comes to fighting evil.
Will lives with her mother, Susan Vandom, and she is an only child. She moved to Heatherfield from Fadden Hills with her mother at the start of the series. Susan felt that it would be good to move so that they could get a fresh start, after Will comes home depressed because she somehow read her so-called friends minds, and found out that they were only her friends out of pity.
Will is a bit of a tomboy and has an odd obsession with frogs. Her entire room is filled with every frog thing that you could possibly imagine, except for an actual living one. She also enjoys swimming a lot and has a soft spot for animals.
Differences between comic Will and show Will:
* In the comics, Will starts out with her powers, but in the show, she doesn't get them until the second season. Up until then, her transformed self only has super strength and the ability to fly, both of which she did not have in the comics. Hay Lin, the air guardian, was originally the only one who could fly, despite the rest of the girls having wings.
* In the comics, Will saves her pet dormouse from the school bully, Uriah, and his gang, who were toturing it. In the show, her dormouse is a gift from Matt.
* In the comics, Will is able to keep her dormouse and she developes a very close relationship to it. In the show, her mother doesn't let her keep it and it gets passed along between the five guardians and Elyon until finally, Matt winds up with it. He keeps it for the rest of the series.
* In the show, Will's personality was altered slightly. She's a lot less sensitive and a lot a less moody. She also seems to be more outspoken.
* In the comics, Will was quite close to her mother, while in the show, they have a more typical teenage daughter to mother relationship.
* In the TV show, Will's father's name was changed from Thomas to Tony, and the writers dropped the plot of him being a gambler. When he comes to Heatherfield to see Will, Susan makes a comment about him not being around, but nothing really comes from it. Eventually, he reveals that he's getting married to a woman named Serena, and Will becomes convinced that Serena is Nerissa. After having Blunk spy on them, she discovers that Serena is not Nerissa, and soon Will accepts their marriage.